Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Why Write About Alzheimer's?

"That's such a horrible disease," people often remark. "Why do you want to write about your experiences caring for your mom and aunt?"

I learned there could be joy in caring for these ladies...joy in seeing them smile and experience contentment in a world so different from the one we imagined they'd be living while in their eighties. I found joy watching the interaction between my grandchildren and their great grandmother. This created pleasurable memories that will remain with the children throughout their lives.

I learned that life isn't always as we imagined nor planned. However, there often is a purpose in the experiences we face.

By sharing with others the experiences my mom, my aunt, and my family faced, perhaps we can help them in their journey through Alzheimer's.

(c)2006

No comments: