Wednesday, January 18, 2006

When We Become the Parent to Our Parents

At first I wrote about Mother's and Auntie's experiences for newspapers and magazines. Soon so many caregivers seemed to be reaching out for comfort, that I began making copies of my articles to share.

Finally a friend said, "Mary, why don't you compile the articles into a book? You can reach so many more people that way."

So the idea for When We Become the Parent to Our Parents evolved and my book, which I also illustrated, resulted. Here I try to give insight into caregiving and to bring comfort and understanding to caregivers.

I've always said, "Alzheimer's is a devastating disease. But it doesn't have to devestate you nor your family member who has it."

I dedicated the book to my mom and aunt, two ladies who were always concerned about other people. Through my writing, they leave a legacy of caring and helping others through this journey in their lives.

(c)2006

(For more information about When We Become the Parent to Our Parents, e-mail me: me.allen@juno.com. Type "Alzheimer's blog" in the subject line.)

No comments: