Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Sharing With Caregivers

When I mentioned I’d cared for my mom and aunt, who developed Alzheimer’s, the young woman I met while waiting at the airport immediately remarked, “We need to talk.”

It turned out she thought her Father might be developing Alzheimer’s and simply needed to talk with someone who had been through this situation of seeing a parent overcome with this disease and trying to help them.

So many people simply need someone to talk to, find a shoulder to lean on, a person to reassure them they can cope as they help their family member. That’s why I began writing newspaper and magazine articles on this topic, which evolved into my book, When We Become the Parent to Our Parents, and contributions to other books.

I also give talks to caregiver groups and in nursing homes to connect with caregivers, whether they’re family members or doing this as their profession.

“Alzheimer’s is a devastating disease,” I often say. “But it doesn’t have to devastate your or your family member.”

(c)2006

(If you have questions or want to share, e-mail me: me.allen@juno.com. Type "Alzheimer's Blog" in the subject line.)

No comments: